The Yard charity has had to deal with two fires in both its centres
A fire at a charity for disabled children in Dundee has caused damage costing £10,000 to fix.
Disabled charity The Yard had a play house at their Drumlanrig Place grounds set alight last week.
Police are treating the fire as suspicious and are currently carrying out enquiries into the cause.
It comes after a similar fire at the charity’s Edinburgh centre a year ago.
The fire has destroyed the charity’s Gingerbread House, a sensory space and Santa’s Grotto during Christmas.
It was also used to store equipment while closed. It was one of the children’s favourites since its donation to The Yard by the National Lottery five years ago.
Gill Thomson, service development manager at The Yard, was “shocked” at the extent of the damage following the blaze.
She said: “We are absolutely sickened by this deliberate fire, which will be a huge loss to the families who rely on our service as a safe and welcoming place to play.
“The Gingerbread House is a much-loved and much-used facility, the beating heart of our outdoor space.
“It’s heart-breaking to have to tell families that they can’t come this Sunday, and that the house and everything it contains has been damaged.
“Most of the families we support have no other options when it comes to play and rely on our facilities to relax, unwind and be themselves.
“We are shocked and saddened by the cruelty and sheer mindlessness of this attack.”
Parent Nadia Christison, who uses the services with her children, Saul, Saskiah and Guy, said The Yard is a “lifeline” for her family.
The mother-of-three said: “It was only a few weeks ago we attended The Yard’s Christmas party and met Santa in the Gingerbread House grotto.
“We all love going to The Yard. It’s a real lifeline for us as a family, and the Gingerbread House is central to that – as are the bikes and trikes which we hear have also been damaged, some destroyed.”